Upwork logo

Upwork Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Showing all 1,073 reviews

Very competitive

Upwork offered me the first experience of working virtually with different clients and team of experts in their various niches.It was a worthwhile experience as I have to stay up to date with communication and do everything possible to meet up with deadline.

Freelance

Well paid, freelance opportunity where you choose your pay rate and your schedule. It is a great opportunity to have a flexible job but there are slow days and weeks where you may not have one project

Pros

Well paid

Cons

Freelance

Upwork Tracker is rigged

Upwork used to be cool, but now it's all about how it looks to investors and client companies, that's the only this management cares about.I've been a freelancer for some 10 years, tried multiple platforms and Upwork has the highest fees of 20% for most projects and 10% if you work for a large client like an enterprise, and the only added benefit is basically that Upwork acts as an escrow service, which most of the time benefits the client, not the freelancer. Upwork is always on the side of companies during a dispute, you might not get paid at all even if you did 50% of the job. Basically money makes the game at Upwork, not the people.The latest drop to fill the bucket is that lately they rigged their Upwork tracking app that you install on your laptop to get paid by the hour, that in tracks 10 minutes every 15 or 20 minutes or more actually. Basically, you'd have to be typing like crazy and constantly shift windows in order to make the app think you are super active, otherwise it does not bill even if you have 1 minute of inactivity or 2 during which you were maybe thinking or reading some documentation. I did a test when a client of mine gave me a 1:30 hours youtube video documentary that I had to watch till the end to extract valuable insights. At the end of the video, Upwork's rigged tracker had just tracked 10 minutes. I told that to my client and they laughed and agreed to pay a bonus for the rest.

Pros

Same as any freelancing platform

Cons

Rigged tracking, Huge fees

Productive and fun though

It's fun working here, just that the hourly pay need to be looked into and politics has to stop. There should be flexibility to move from one technology to another without sentiments. Also, freelancers complaints has to be looked into with utmost emergency and not be abandoned.

Pros

Bonus

Cons

Not flexible to move from one technology to another and the hourly rate is rigid. Also, percentage cut from hourly rate is too big and they also collect big percentage from bonus too, which is weird!

Good place to start

I mostly like it, but the notification system is VERY BAD. I've lost 2 potential jobs because I get notified TOO LATE.There is also a lot of competition so you have to be good AND charge relatively low to get jobs.

Pros

Choose jobs to do

Cons

Notification delay will ruin opportunities

be careful freelancers

If a Client refuses to pay the freelancer, Upwork will always take the side of the Client, If you are not very careful and use their time tracker, you may end up being paid nothing.

Pros

flex time

Cons

might not get paid

Upwork is great freelancing platform

I am working on Upwork for the last 9 years and I recommend it to all online workers.Although Upwork became a bit competitive even then a person with a good set of skills can earn a handsome amount.

Pros

Fair policy

Cons

Competitive

I like it upwork

I am 5 years ago experience in upwork,I like it upwork jobs in the to do so at least one other thing is I make the best of luck in finding out more recently the best way to get a full time job that would be a great weekend.

Pros

Data entry

Cons

Per day in 5 hour

Make your own hours

I really love making my own hours and loved most clients I was able to work with. Sometimes you will find clients that do not want to pay you though, so no steady income. A typical day at work is me sitting on my couch managing social media accounts. Management is great because you don't really have to talk to them very much.

Pros

Own schedule

Cons

Not much money

Good if you are an expert in your field.

If you are entry level or have limited qualifications regardless of thoroughly honed experience or portfolio, your best bet at finding any work at all will be to deal with clients that have no idea what they want, no idea what they are looking for specifically, have unreasonable expectations, and will want to pay peanuts. Also Upwork has the audacity to take a whopping 20% of your earnings. 10% if you are Top rated I believe.

Pros

You set your own schedule and if you’re expert level and top rated it’s rewarding

Cons

Exploiting labor, hard to find work, terrible clients, scams

Great Place to Work

I have loved freelancing with Upwork and am so thankful to have found their platform a few years ago! I have found many wonderful clients here and it is my full time job. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

Flexibility, Wonderful Clients, Work from Home

Poor Executive Leadership on Sales Teams

The sales leaders have built an organization that doesn't foster growth or career advancement. We continue to take steps back! Dear CEO, Please get rid of the the sales SVP and VPs. We NEED new leaders badly before this continues to crash and burn. Our leaders don't care enough and are building a toxic sales organization. Please help fast!Upwork is a great place to make money and be at the front of the staffing industry. They are building an incredible platform to help company's be successful! I would recommend all business leaders to engage with Upwork.The Executive Sales leaders need to go! They are bringing the same poor culture from the same company everyone use to work for. They've had their chance and nothing seems to be working with getting new clients. They need to act faster before we loose to our competitors.

Pros

pay, work life balance

Cons

poor leaders, lack of strategy

Client respect

Client respect and quick communication with no unexpected behavior such as promising and not fulfilling deadlines. The company has a plan to help on some cases but when it gets out of hand normally the freelancer looses.

Pros

Helps you keep up by learning something new during the working process.

Cons

Some clients will be annoying but that is part of life.

Flexibility to work when I want to.

Upwork has given me the flexibility to work when it is convenient for me. As a single mother of 4 teenagers, I love being able to be at all of my kids' functions and drive them all around and then work when I have downtime. Upwork has been a great way to earn some money and not completely disrupt my family life.

Pros

Very flexible.

Cons

Constantly applying for new work.

Productive, educational a fun place

I love working at upwork. I get to communicate with tons of people and experience work without stress. I do this so as to increase my learning my learning aptitude.

Pros

Relaxed anfmd work at home

Professional and user friendly experience

Excellent place for the freelancers. Patience is the key for the new commers. Do not giveup if you cannot find the job quickly always be positive and keep applying foe the jobs.

Pros

Excellent payment structure.

Cons

Unstable monthly income.

Excellent company

I started my freelance career at upwork and have made a successful lifestyle with this company. It has been a pleasure working here and their payment system is very secure.

Good for programmers

There are lots of computation but in term of Android development or digital marketing it's easy any one can get paid from upwork. But in terms of graphic design not good.

Pros

Work from anywhere

Cons

Paid

Use anything else but UpWork

I started a few months ago. At first everything fine, no issues. Then I had a client that disappeared and did not pay for my work. I contacted the UpWork team but there was no help. Basically they said I was not covered by their Hourly Protection policy and was just advice to let it go (lost money). Really no advice for further actions. There are no options to even report the fraud on the page. The system is messed up, most of my clients complain about the system, which makes me look unprofessional due to UpWork error (sudden refunds for example). Also, I have another client, where payments are coming randomly. Nothing was chosen by the client. There are plenty of other platforms, do not choose this one!

Pros

Flexible

Cons

System, security

Flexible Remote Work

I enjoy the flexibility to work remote and collaborate with varying clients to maintain/up skill my core competencies. This is a freelance platform therefore if you possess a particular skill-set especially if you’re unemployed during the pandemic you can amplify your craft through Upwork.

Pros

Remote

Aseem Kumar baishnab

Here is a good freelance platform where you can work remotely. I like work as a freelancer on this platform because it puts the price on quality. Also recommend for anyone who wants to become a freelancer to join to them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Upwork