New York Life

New York Life Employee Reviews

Showing all 3,593 reviews

Great company and teams, great pay if you’re a hardcore salesperson

New York Life is a wonderful company with top notch training and support from management. They sponsor and pay for your licensing, classes, study materials, etc. I am very fond of everyone I work with. That being said, as an agent you are on a 100% commission income which can be incredibly stressful at times. As long as you’re selling things are good. If you aren’t or if underwriting isn’t going your way things can be very not good. If you’re a born salesman with a deep social network this job can make you rich. If you aren’t then at best you’re going to have some very lean months, at worst you’re not going to make any income at all.

Find another job

I would say this is somewhat of a pyramid work place. Everyone has the opportunity to make partner, but you need to sell out your family and friends first. Then, when you become a management partner, you don’t manage you constantly look for more people to come work for the company.

Pros

First Friday Breakfast

Cons

Lots of training for nopay

What is the best part of working at the company?commission opportunities What is the most stressful part about working at the company?unrealistic quotasWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?cut-throatWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?stressful, multiple cigarette breaks even for non-smokers

Fair job

I’ve learned a lot at the company and am continuing to learn and grow with it. There are lots of opportunities to move up and they give you the tools to be successful. It does get stressful at times but overall, I enjoy it.

The work was very challenging

As a manager it was mentally draining to hear my sales team get rejections and fail to achieve sales target. Motivating my sales personell was just as difficult as selling life insurance policies

Pros

I am paid well and get to travel a lot

Cons

Highly stressed job as we have to meet sales target every month

good place

decent environment where you can move up the ladder after proving yourself. decent salary and benefits. work can sometimes be demanding especially during crunch times.

What is the best part of working at the company?Helping people What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Getting clients is stressful What is the work environment and culture like at the company?My time there was highly enjoyable What is a typical day like for you at the company?Everyday is a grind from 8 til 8

I do not recommend remote

I had good management. The people are great. Just be aware that the recruiters are phenomenal salespeople. They will paint a beautiful picture. The first years are very difficult. The commissions are great if you find a way, however.

Going broke

Unfortunately, this company only wants you for your contacts. All leads for your first two years are organic. If you don't mind begging your friends and family this is the job for you. Turn over rate for an Agent is massive but they never talk about it but every meeting you will be able to tell. Good luck with this one guys!

Pros

Free tacos at the first of the month

Cons

No money

Incredible culture with major opportunities

The training with this company is superior compared to most companies. Leadership is also very supportive. Culture is positive, everyone I’ve met is willing to lend a helping hand including other agents. You just have to be willing to reach out and take advantage of all the resources they have available (which is a lot).

Pros

Major incentives with tons of resources.

Cons

You have to be willing to put forth the work to truly get where you want to be.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New York Life?

What is the best part of working at the company?New York Life is a wonderful insurance company with a long history of 175 years. They are a Mutual company is owned by it's policy owners whereas Stock companies have stockholders who receive stock dividends.They have wonderful staff to help train and develop a plan for success The company has wonderful benefits and a pension plan for retirement. I enjoyed my 8 years there before my retirement.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?If you are in sales meeting your quotas.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The overall work environment is professional and friendly.What is a typical day like for you at the company?In sales, I make sales calls for appointments for new prospects and current clients for reviews, new business sales, possible office sales training, and finally meetings for new clients and products. Paperwork is filled out and turned in to be processed.

Training

They have a great training program for new agents, but you have to be very self disciplined. Overall a great company to work for with a solid foundation

Great

Fun place to work. Awesome support from colleagues and great pay. Great benefits along with a comprehensive retirement plan. Vacation days, sick days also provided.

What is the best part of working at the company?Benefits/people the company was flexible with working conditions What is the most stressful part about working at the company?I have not complaints about working there What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Work area sufficient and culture was diversified What is a typical day like for you at the company?Meetings to be aware of progress and other meetings

Terrible

This is an antiquated company. You will go broke and be trapped by their ledger system. The managers just need applications in for their money incentives. Very male awful environment. Very poor support for your clients. Agent turnover is huge. Any remaining established agents are slippery and not role models for the industry. They want you to approach family and friends at an embarrassingly aggressive extent. Do your research on the office that you sign with. You are trapped to the MP.

Cons

No pay

Pro- Strong Company Con-Commission Only

Great company with opportunity to help a range of clients (individuals, families and business owners). Pay is commission only no base. Training is excellent.

Great Company to work for

It was definitely a prestigious company to work for with good training, benefits, and perks. It's important to set your own career goals and learn about your industry outside of what the company provides, or you'll be chasing goals their goals for you that benefit the company more than the individual and you could end up on a hamster wheel.

Pros

Great training, reputable name

Cons

stressful sales environment, poor support if you're not aggressive, chargebacks and negative ledgers.

Decent place to work

NYL was a decent place to work. Expectations for the quality for calls were too overboard but the benefits were really good. I got hired on during the pandemic and they sent me everything I needed to be able to train me from home which was nice

What is the best part of working at the company?The factor of how much you can learn. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The process of finally making money, and building clientele. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Open, talkative, and Diversified.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy, and interesting. A lot of staff, not everyone comes in on the same day.

Commission Based.

Long hours for commission based pay. Hard to move into management. Certifications can be expensive. Work at your own pace but it reflects how in which you are paid.

Think First

If you have a ton of friends looking for insurance, do it. If you are good at selling things and don’t have a stock of potential clients, do not do it. You will spend weeks bugging everyone you know and waste your time while not earning any money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New York Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits