International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture logo
International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture

International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture Employee Reviews

Standard work environment for employees to become the best they can

The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture is an enabling environment for all and sundry to become the best at their job with a notable work life balance and Gender balance.Trainings on the job to help an employee learn and become adaptive to the technology used is simply top notch.

Pros

Medicals, Lunch

Cons

Non

Productive and fun work place with great cafeteria.

A fast-paced environment with loads of learning opportunities. You might have to work extra hours on some days which can be stressful. It is a great place to work and build your career.

Experience gained in Agriculture research & Development

IITA is an international work space where you can easily built your career in Agriculture research and Development. Also a multicultural environment..

Pros

lovely environment living space

Cons

monotony in the campus

A good Working environment

International Institute of Tropical Agriculture is a very good research institute which add value to individual both in agricultural line and other related fields.

High

I learned how to interact with am individuals,while their administrative were in order. There is no strings culture but it accommodate different tribes

Experienced,Electrical and Electronics Engineer with a background in mechatronics engineering.

A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK I repair uninterrupted power supply unit.I maintain Bio-safety cabinets and other laboratory equipment like: Labconco freeze dryer,water in line degasser,Centrifuge machines, Gallenkamp incubators e.t.c.And also I install solar panels and inverter as Hybrid renewable power systems. WHAT I HAVE LEARNED I have expert technicians that I have worked with and learned a lot of troubleshooting techniques from. I learnt how to manage my time well on a tedious job when there is a particular time placed for it. THE MANAGEMENT :The management gives room for youth empowerment in agribusiness.IITA management recognizes the importance of capacity development in strengthening research for development (R4D). Since its inception, IITA has supported formal and informal training activities as part of its strategy to improve food security and reduce poverty in sub Saharan Africa regions. WORKPLACE CULTURE The workplace culture is moderate.The way my boss communicate and interact with employees is satisfactory. what they communicate and how they go about it,emphasizing their vision for the future, how they celebrate and recognize smart and good job, what they expect, the stories they tell, how they make decisions, the extent to which they are trusted, and the beliefs and perceptions they reinforce makes me to like the culture. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB The hardest part of the job is that sometimes equipment purchased needs spare parts when repairing them which gives me difficulty.Because of some urgency. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB The most enjoyable -

A very productive place to work

International Institute of Tropical Agriculture is an agricultural institute will also provide an excellent opportunity for other careers and Vale their staff and their well being

Pros

There is availability of free lunches to all the staff

Cons

Short break

Its a nice environment to build your career

Personally i like the work ethics and it gives room for personal and professional development. It shapes your perspective about agriculture and exposes individuals to proposal writing to meet donors requirements.

Research Oriented and Knowledge development hub

I have had privilege to work with teams of expert from diverse field. I learned a lot by engaging in repair and maintenance of all crop processing machinery. I also learned by participating in designing and fabrication of small and portable tools and devices used for farming activity. It is a serene environment to work in, but there is no job security as most of the jobs given are contract base. The most enjoyable part is that I have Had privilege to work with different professionals which widened my experiences in other agricultural related field.

Proactive and rewarding

Great place to work! IITA has 15 stations across Africa and employs hundreds of staff, from scientists and researchers to ancillaries and groundskeepers. Search our staff database by unit, location, or CGIAR research program and find contact details for our national and international employees

Jobs at International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture

See more jobs

Productive and Fun

During a typical work week, one of my biggest tasks is producing about 3 design draft each for various project for clients which must first pass through my senior collegue. All staffs meet first thing on Mondays to discuss our priorities for the week, and also at the end of the week to discuss goal setting for the next week. I meet with smaller groups of my staff in the middle of the week to troubleshoot any issues. I have learnt to meet up with deadline and to be able to handle pressure and difficult situation maturely such that it doesn't affect one psychologically and emotionally. That hardest part of the Job is trying to please the client and not getting the correct brief. The enjoyable part is having to work, brainstorm, have fun, play games, eat and do seminars together, as this as helped to create a good team spirit within the organization and we have won several awards as the best TEAM.

Experience driven

These organizations provides both young and older persons the opportunity to gain experience and explore the world as they pursue their career goals in Life

Good management and a wonderful experience to have worked there

The Institution has the best management skills , well coordinated with access to good facilities . I would only change one thing if given the opportunity, the casual staffs make the major strength of the institution, I just feel they need to be more recognised and rewarded.

Pros

Free lunches and access to medical care

Cons

Long hours n difficult supervisors

Productive and stressful workplace with a bit of work-life balance

A typical day at work is something i always look up to because of the passion i have and also seeing my plants grow gives me joy. I have learned to be resilient, to accommodate, to tolerate, and to accept everyone i come in contact with through my job. The management needs to do more because most of the staff strength do not get the best of their services being appreciated. The most enjoyable part of my work is to see that everything i plant produces well and that's the only motivation i have.

productive and good organisation

•Participate in harvesting of cassava field experiments and assist in research data collection and entry also Organize and supervise the daily rated staff;later Use the Chroma meter to determine the color intensity, total carotene and dry matter content of cassava mash; •Take photograph of cassava tuber for picture analysis of root size and shape. Management is superb and coordinated because you know what to do from the start of the week. The hardest part of the work is not been biased with the sample selection but am used to it because i have gathered alot work experience.. The most enjoyable part of the work is scanning cassava samples with the chromameter to detect the color and have an idea of the dry matter.

Pros

lunch, medical facilities and trainning & seminars

Cons

renumeration and bonuses

Learning, growing and interesting work place

An environment where learning has no end research are done on daily basis to mitigate Hunger in Africa, ensuring food security. I work in a unit where we certify germplasm materials before they are exported and we also perform post entry inspection on imported materials before they are used. All these is to prevent transfer of exotic pests from one country to another. We also work with the Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine services to facilitate the movement of these germplasm materials.

Pros

Payment of salary at the right time

Cons

Working extra hours without paying for overtime

Conducive work environment

The work environment is conducive. The management of my lab at the time was not very nice. Though the management of the institute at the time was loved

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

long hours sometimes

Its a good place to learn from. The work ethics and behavior around the environment is such that every young professional should emulate. The experience is awesome.

Very good environment conducive for working

Very good place to work, mostly research was done at the institute at a very high standard,with collaboration and partnerships with different organizations and foundations.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Working overtime without been paid

Computer learning institution, with over 500 student with their head office in KAno, Nigeria and branch in other states like Lagos and Ibadan. the staff strength is over 100

Pros

Free lunch

Agric. Research

No sure future for job. Renewable contract. Can be terminated. Non- profit organization. Fund shortage always. Free health for staff only. Free food for staff only.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Health care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3