British Council Employee Reviews

Rendering selfless service to the community
Litracy training (Former Employee) –  KanoAugust 8, 2019
A typical work day for me begins with me prioritizing my tasks which i had set a day before for the day i.e selecting a donor file and ends with noting achievements for the day. Amongst other things i have learned on the job is Time management and Organization skills. The judicious use of time and available resources is all about my job.because in the midst of our diversities( background, views, ideas,exposure) when it comes to work and fun we always manage to put our differences aside and work as a team. Talking about the hardest part of my job, I don't have any; only a little challenge of waiting for my colleagues at the bases to send their books and data which can take a little longer than expected sometimes and in turn delaying my job.
The most interesting part of my job is the freedom to use initiative to achieve set objectives.
Good place to balance work and life
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  NigeriaDecember 13, 2017
British Council management, work structure and compensation needs improvement. It's a good place to learn while balancing work and life - unless you're in exams!
Engaging, inclusive and
Operations Director (Current Employee) –  AbujaNovember 23, 2017
British Council is non departmental public body. It is entrepreneurial cultural relations organisation. It generates 2/3rd of its income through our own businesses and only 1/rd is funded by Government grant. The pay pagages are at good level but short of excellent. This is compensated by the fact that there are some other allowances and a lot of learning and development opportunities
Pros
Good learning and development
Cons
things take long
Insightful
EXHIBITION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Abuja FCT NIgeriaSeptember 6, 2017
This role was voluntary but with a training session attached to it.
it allowed me to meet with different people from other parts of the world and increased my knowledge of Customer relations
Customer Service
Customer care representative/ Exam invigilator (Current Employee) –  LagosJanuary 19, 2017
Attending to Customers service request and handles of incoming calls. have learnt to pay attention to every details customer requested for, it expose me to more training and how to multi task.
Pros
Staff Bus
Good Training Ground
HR Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  AbujaDecember 20, 2016
The British Council is a good place to work especially for mid-year career individuals who want to have a chance to see how their day to day activities translates to impact in the wider society. I learned a lot about how to respect people's opinions and how to work with people and through people to achieve set objectives. I had very supportive and talented co-workers who made things happen. The hardest part of the job was having difficult conversations with colleagues usually bothering on friction between two or more colleagues or disciplinary actions. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to engage with diverse stakeholders in getting my job done many of which have turned to lifelong relationships.
Pros
Paternity leave
Cons
Compensation, No retention strategy
My Manager
Data Input Administrator (Former Employee) –  Abuja, NigeriaJanuary 28, 2016
I had one of the bset bosses ever. I over worked hard and she treated me like her son. I enjoyed every minute working under her. I learnt a lot also.
Pros
Yea Free food most times
Cons
Was a contract role.
fun workplace and productive
Examination Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Port HarcourtJuly 2, 2015
Working with the British Council was an eye opener for me. Typically, i was working with the department in charge of IELTS exams and other professional examinations. I come to work if there is an exams that is to be written. I learnt how to how to keep to time and work as a team both to my co-staffs and the management. The hardest part of the job was when you have to stay back after the exams to shred the exam question booklet and destroy the CDs used and the most enjoyable part of the job is when we all come together to work as a team.
Pros
Free launches
Great employer
Land Team Leader (Former Employee) –  NigeriaSeptember 20, 2013
Positive attitudes to all and making a positive change in Nigeria