American University of Nigeria

American University of Nigeria Employee Reviews in Yola

Yola12 reviews
A research oriented laboratory that has been in existence for a number of years now and has been an answer to some science questions that some many ask
Doing their best, good place to work and the pay is good. is a developing university in Nigeria. One of the best private schools where you have the children of who is who in Nigeria.
Pros
Free housing, internet etc
Cons
workload
It is a community the gather different people from different part of the world. My department work as a team and no discrimination among us. We always solve network issue together and we always encourage ourselves on the job.

Their was a particular day one of our colleague had and accident on his way to office we all left the office to be with him at the hospital and this shows the love among us as a colleague.

Also, the management are very caring and very concern about staff welfare.

The hardest part of the job is troubleshooting of the network especially when their is an issue with an active device which need to be brought back into production with minimum downtime.

The day my colleague that had an accident resumed back to work after 4 months in hospital.
Pros
Team work
Cons
No closing time or weekends especially when their is a network issue
A typical day at work is basically holding practical sessions on photo and video production. Shoot testimonial and promotional video for the department, sometimes edit all day. One thing I learnt is to multitask because almost at all times we are made to do multiple things at the same time. The management is rigorous and very strict on staffs. The most difficult part is having to work overtime a lot of times with no pay or compensation whatsoever.
I loved the job. Video production is my passion and I'm happy to have been able to add value to the organization.
Pros
Security
Cons
Forced to work OT
Provided an awesome work environment with an awesome head of management. Working at AUN gave me the needed direction in life, you get to meet people from across the world
The weather can be very warm. There is significant anxiety about security in that north-eastern part of the country although the University has adequate and well equipped multi-layered security model. Security is still an issue.
The American University of Nigeria is a development University that is at the forefront of educational innovation in Nigeria. It is a great workplace with good benefits packages for staff and a challenging and fulfilling work environment.
Pros
Health insurance, paid leave
Cons
Located in Yola
In Nigeria i have learned to work with a minimum of resources. we did not have everything available and part of my job was to look for resources and supplies which i made sure everybody was served with great quality products. As a good team player and leader, and with the help of my colleagues, we were able to serve the American university community with the best meals on daily basis.
I also learned to deal with different cultures then my own and have earned big respect from every body there.

the only inconvenience that made me leave my work was insecurity. The university was located in the north of the country and threats of Bocco Haram were increasing.
A typical day at work, would involve reviewing up coming events, organising, the necessary vendors, drafting and sending invites to dignitaries and guests. Creating surveys, for pre and post events, analysing old surveys. Having team meetings etc.

I learned different management skills, how to set up various targeted events, working closely with various institutions and stakeholders. Work as a team, effectively communicate what had to be done. Effective time utilization etc.

The management was efficient and goal focused.

Co-workers were pleasant willing to learn and teach.

Dealing with extreme challenges that we were able to over come, like mobilization of resources and logistics, working with no electricity, or poor tools and equipment. The end justifies the means. As long as it all comes out successfully, I try not to focus on the the difficulties but more on what could be done better,

The joy from success. The thank you and most off all the process, The problem solving process, to get the job done, working with students staff, vendors, co-workers etc Teaching staff and people new or efficient ways of doing things etc.
On Christmas day i have travel from Abuja to Yola by road to deliver a consignment
Pros
free medical care
Cons
long hours, some time weekend
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at American University of Nigeria?
- Highly challenging work environment
- The need to support individual university research work often interesting

- Multicultural/multi-ethnic work environment

- Great work colleagues, excellent team

- Good and open opportunity for self/career development
Pros
Free daily bus shuttle to and from work
Cons
None that I could tell now
Residence Directors in collaboration with the Activity office will organise event and activities in the resi dence halls to make it a leaving learning environment. Activities that will make the students feel at home.

Ping pong tables should be placed in all common rooms or courtyards to keep the students busy and occupied, that as well will help to stop bad behaviours like drinking alcohol, smoking etc.
Pros
subsidised meals(breakfast, lunch and dinner)
Cons
short breaks might be needed to drop and pick up kids from school.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American University of Nigeria. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2